Mission #43 (OTN201)

Status
  • Battery: 15.1768 -> 11.6375 V
  • AmpHrs: 133.788
  • LeakDetect: OK
  • Vacuum: 10.2006 inHg

Mission Diagnostics Page

Mission ran from (2015-01-23 14:31:08 til 2015-02-17 16:08:00)
Posted By:
acomeau @
2015-01-24 00:35:05
The glider was deployed by Adam, Ben, Mark and Shaun today from the East Comm with Jim and Tim as crew. It was sunny with partial clouds, a slow rolling swell of about 1.5 - 2 m with ~15 knot winds from the NW. Water samples were collected at 1 m and 20 m depth. BOD oxygen bottles were also taken to perform winkler titrations.
acomeau @
2015-01-31 03:08:28
I updated the minimum altimeter depth to 15 meters because we were getting some shorter than expected yo's.
acomeau @
2015-02-08 15:27:31
The waypoints were adjusted today. The waypoint around emerald basin (~HL3) was taken out so the remaining two waypoints are to bring the glider close to shore for recovery. The script sciMaIridum.xml was used to set the iridium comms to zero, update the waypoints and send live data and it ran fine without user intervention. Note: this script doesn't have issue a ctrl-w, I will have to add this functionality.
acomeau @
2015-02-08 15:34:17
When the surfacing ended I restarted the surface script sendSciAndZeroIridiumCtrlw.xml.
acomeau @
2015-02-10 15:16:40
In order to have the glider come into Halifax despite the strong Scotian Current at this time of year, I set the current correction on the glider. I did this by issuing '!put u_use_current_correction 1' to the glider at 11:15 am local 10-Feb-2015 just as it was returning from the Emerald Basin
acomeau @
2015-02-12 16:10:01
The glider was getting hit pretty hard by the Scotian current and it was looking like it wasn't going to make it's way to Halifax on the given battery, so I got it to head to St. Margarets Bay and fly a holding triangle to await recovery. Since we have a few Nor'easters coming our way I decided to shut off the science sensors to conserver battery power in case we need an extra few days to weather a storm. Below are the steps taken: - Stopped the mission - I updated the stock.mi so that all the science sensors were controlled by sample10.ma, and changed the sample10.ma so that no science sensors would sample. I uploaded this file by using the 'dockzr * -archive' command. - I updated the TBDLIST.DAT and commented out all the reporting science variables because they won't be sampling. I had to consci into the science computer and then issue the 'dockzr TBDLIST.DAT -archive' command. - I updated the waypoints using the 'dockzr goto_l10.ma -archive'.
acomeau @
2015-02-13 23:19:05
I noticed the glider wasn't doing full yo's (maybe only half of them). This was probably because the depth at which the altimeter starts was set to 5 meters with the start of the new mission. At the 11:30 am surfacing today I set it to 15 meters and we've been doing full profiles since. It seems that the altimeter is displaying symptoms similar to our other altimeter before it stopped working. Also, I updated the waypoints at the 11:30 am surfacing to give the glider a better heading to make it into the area just outside of St. Margarets bay.
bcovey @
2015-02-15 16:10:23
Updated mission waypoints using the new auto-uploading script. The glider never sent the message signaling a successful upload and the script got stuck in a loop of retrying the upload which failed each time because the ma file had already been sent. I re uploaded the ma file and the script was able to complete successfully.
acomeau @
2015-02-16 16:57:24
I updated the surfacing time to every 3 hours and the waypoint closer to chebucto head at the 11:50 pm (local) surfacing (2015-02-16). The planned recovery is for tomorrow (2015-02-17) a bit west of Chebucto head. My original plan was to recover closer to St. Margarets bay, but the boat was iced up at dock. We are getting the East Comm out of Halifax for the recovery.
acomeau @
2015-02-23 15:05:58
The glider was recovered off of Chebucto head. Due to freezing conditions, the antennae had a block of ice on it preventing stable iridium comms, which made it difficult to report GPS measurements to the dockserver. Eventually we got an approximate location after a 15 second iridium connection, then caught the glider over freewave and then recovered. No water samples were taken because the science sensors had been off for a few days before recovery to save battery life.

Latest Mission Data

Temperature

Pot. Density

Salinity

Oxygen Saturation

Chl a from Fluorescence

Irradiance

Backscattering @ 660 nm

Backscattering @ 880 nm